John Staub was a prominent architect in Houston who came to Dallas in 1936 at the request of Alex Camp and Roberta Coke Camp to design their home on 22 acres on the shores of White Rock Lake. While 8,500 square feet, it is sited in the landscape in an unimposing way.
Architect James Pratt notes the natural light within all the principal rooms. Architect Frank Welch states “the Camp House is wonderfully realized, terribly handsome, the best of regional vernacular.” The doors slide into the walls, the floor plan is open, breezes from across the lake sweep through the elevated balconies and porches.
It is a home that has influenced many regional architects. Arch and Patsy Swank reminisced that O’Neil Ford and Arch were not formally involved in the design of this home, they would, however, quietly review the plans, offer suggestions and most of all, bolster Mrs. Camp’s confidence before the prominent Staub would come to town for meeting and review.